Monday, March 26, 2007

Ugh ! ! !

Diane is not a happy camper. I woke up on Monday morning with a full-blown sinus infection, pun applicable but not intended. I also suspect a lively colony of strep has made its home in my goozel, just to make things even more interesting in a painful sort of way.

My throat feels like I've been gargling broken glass. My whole body aches, and I have a LOT of body to ache. My tonsils look like they have deposits of cottage cheese on them. I have 101 degrees of fever right now, even after taking Tylen*l. I'm drinking all I can stand and keeping the
toilet seat warm as evidence of my diligence in attempting to stay hydrated.

I just happened to have a prescription of antibiotics left from a bout with sinusitis that I had last year, God be praised. Seriously. I really can't afford to go to the doctor and I don't have any insurance.

I'm taking 1000 milligrams of Cephalex*n several times a day. In addition to my other wonderful symptoms, I now have a raging case of digestive upset, if you get my drift. Mega doses of antibiotics tend to affect me that way. Oh, joy! Oh, toilet! My close and familiar friend!

I am not good at being sick. Ask Lamar, Jessica or any of my sisters. Cecil, Sue, Jessica and Lamar got a refresher course in my not-so-good-at-being-sick today, bless their thumpin' gizzards. (Did you read that, Jeana?)

You might, perhaps, say that I'm a little cranky when I'm sick. Possibly. Maybe. I freely admit that it's better for me and anybody within a 30 foot perimeter that they step back to at least 100 feet from me. I tend to take off your head and hand it to you without even realizing what I've done. Until I notice everyone looking kind of shellshocked, that is. Honestly, please just go away and leave me alone and my illness will be a more pleasant experience for us all. I try to be civil, but it's like an alter-evil personality takes over when I'm sick.

I apologize ahead of time if I happen to come across in an email or in your comments as hateful or contrary. I really don't mean to be, but those other personalities may take over when I'm under the weather. Mea really culpa, 'kay?

Cecil and Sue brought hamburgers, hotdogs and polska kielbasa for lunch and I fired up the gas grill for the first time this Spring. It was good, but I wasn't terribly hungry due to the aforementioned afflictions I'm suffering with. I had just gotten the last of the hotdogs and sausage off the grill when my grill ran out of propane. I had planned to use my gas grill to smoke a Boston butt for supper, but that put a halt to that. So I ended up using my charcoal kettle grill as a hillbilly-engineered smoker.

I flat smoked that pork, too. About 8 hours worth, and it was worth every trip out back to add charcoal, renew the water in my little pan to keep it moist, and keep the smoky hunk of pork turned so it would cook evenly. Yummy! But I didn't eat much of the smoked pig meat either, due to my unfortunate illness. Lamar put a dent in it, though. I still have 2 quart ziptop bags in the fridge for later. Hopefully it won't be too long before smoked Boston butt sounds great again.

Of course when I took that hunk of pork out of the freezer Saturday night to thaw with the intention of smoking it on Monday, I had no idea that I would have the Mother of All Sinus Infections when I woke up Monday morning. I persevered and got the job done, but I sure didn't feel up to snuff at all. I'm hoping the antibiotics take hold and I'll feel much better on Tuesday. Please, God, let me feel much better! For my health and my loved ones' safety and sanity!

On a somewhat related note, I was so excited to see a letter from Social Security Disability in my mail on Saturday. The excitement didn't last long. Can we say, "Shot down in flames", class?

The letter was to inform me that I DID NOT have an interview scheduled, but WHEN THEY DO get around to scheduling an interview with me, I WILL be informed at least 20 days in advance of the interview. *Argh...*

This June will mark 2 years since I filed for disability because of my crippling arthritis and an inherited foot and leg disease. (Gee, thanks, Dad!) I have exhausted all of my appeals except for the interview with a judge. I've been waiting for that interview for over a year now. The government doesn't get in any hurry, folks, unless you owe THEM money. In the meantime, I have no insurance at all. I know a lot of my blogging friends are in the same situation, without health care. You all have my deepest sympathy, assuredly.

If you're a praying person, I do request, most humbly, that you would pray for this situation regarding my disability. The little extra income from the disability check would be most welcome, but my main concern is the health insurance. I would be ecstatic if they would just reinstate my insurance, nevermind the check.

And here's a little snapshot of the twisted ways our government works: When I first interviewed and filed for my disability, the Social Security worker told me that I would be more likely to be approved and get more money and benefits if Lamar and I divorced and just lived together. Have you ever heard such foolishness in all your born days? I personally know of several couples who did end up divorcing and living together so that one of the partners could qualify and collect their well-deserved disability. What is this world coming to, I'd just like to know...?

I can't decide if I'm burning up or freezing, so I'm going to go sit under the fan with a blanket over me.

Here's hoping you're having a great week.

Love and (possibly contagious) hugs,

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Diane I am sori I have had these several times over the years. Praying u get better soon and also praying for the situation regarding your disability.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon, your fridge is calling you!

Jeana said...

I heard ya! And man can I relate. I always feel like smokin' someone's butt when I'm sick too, and that Yankee totally had it coming. You go, girl.

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Oh, Diane! Feel better soon, Dear.

Big Mama said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon. There's just not much worse than a sinus infection.

someone else said...

I'm so sorry! I would suggest crawling back into bed and sleeping away the day!! Hope you feel better soon.

Barb said...

I think I'll pass on that hug for now, Diane. LOL I'm so sorry you're sick. I'm exactly the same way when I'm sick - best to just give me lots of space and let me be miserable.

It's just twisted that people are, according to government guidelines, better off divorced. Unbelievable.

OK, I wasn't going to tell you this but I think you'll feel a little cheerier toward the end of the week - watch your mail. xoxoxo

Greeneyes said...

You poor thing , I will keep you in my prayers and pray for you to be well soon and a little one tucked in there to protect those around you !!!LOL

Time for everyone to wait on you hand and foot and treat you like a Queen , all the while ducking for cover , LOL
I hope your well soon , and I will take the contagious hugs , germs and all ,
BShugs friend
Love
Miss G

Rachel said...

You are so right about the government. If you owe them money look out but they take their sweet time when it comes to paying out. I have insurance but I pay a huge price for it each month with a very high deductible. I pay almost $300 a month and that is quite painful let me tell you. But I'd be scared to death if I didn't have any. One major illness or surgery could wipe us out.

I will be praying that you get to feeling better soon and that your disability comes through, sooner than later!!!

Thanks for mentioning your goozel and thumpin gizzards!! I hadn't heard those words in years!!! LOL

Linda said...

I am - as per usual - a day late reading this Diane. I'm so sorry you're so sick. It sounds awful. I'm praying for you about that and the s.s. thing.
We went through that years ago. They sure do like to make things difficult - unless of course you're willing to divorce your husband (Yikes!). It's my studied opinion that they are just trying to wear us down. I think they figure if they throw up enough roadblocks we'll just give up and go away. Keep fighting kid!!! With a bunch of prayer warriors behind you and the Lord on your side this thing is in the bag!!!
Feel better soon.

Kristen said...

So sorry about your yucky ailments, Diane! However, despite your illness(es), you still managed to make me chuckle. I'd say that's pretty talented.

Prayers coming your way!!

Mountain Mama said...

So sorry Diane! I have had something very similar to what you have described. This is the fourth day. Each day has brougt a new misery. Yuck! I will pray for you to be well soon and hopefully leave all 'heads intact.'
LOL
God bless you dear

Dawn said...

Blessings on you, dear friend. I didn't get to reading much yesterday, so I'm a day late. I hope you're better, but just in case, I'm praying!

The government has things pretty whacked out, doesn't it? It took my BIL many years to convince Big Brother that he needed help. He finally succeeded, but it was painful.

I can't believe you cooked all that when you were ailing!

Carole Burant said...

Only you would make me giggle while reading how ill you are! lol You just have a way with words my friend! hehe Seriously, though, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well at all...those sinus infections are murder aren't they! As for the government, nothing they say ever makes sense so why should this be any different...makes you wonder who comes up with these ideas! I sure do hope you can get that all straightened out and SOON! Take care my friend! xoxo

Lyndy said...

Bless your heart Diane. I sure hope you are feeling better. I will most certainly be praying for your disability. I have heard people say the same thing about being divorced…what a bunch of hooey.

Big Hugs, Lyndy

boomama said...

Hope you feel better! And I am so sorry about your disability stuff...that has to be frustrating. Hang in there....

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Aaaawww, Diane, I hope you start feeling better soon. Busy women don't make very good patients ... believe me, I know. I just hate being sick ... no time for it !!
Take care, stay warm (or cool, whatever it is at the moment).
Big hugs, Meow

TJ said...

I'm still can't breath...whine...I get whiney and loopy...still on antibiotics and just took another Benadryl...nothing else works...sigh!!
Hope you get better soon!
:-D
PS...new blog address for me...click above.

Dawn said...

Diane - regarding your comment to Kristen, I will definitely rescue that coat! I don't believe in throwing things away just because there are worms in the pockets!

Hope you're better!!

RennyBA said...

Get better soon!
Glad you like our Cyber Cruise and hope the dinner in Rome was tasty too:-)

Paulette said...

Hey Diane,
I am soooo sorry you are sick, since Iam just reading this on wednesday morning at 1 oclock I hope you are feeling better by now. I am saying a prayer for you and hope you get to eat that pork butt soon.
Love ya!

Dick said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. It is tough to be feeling down as the weather is improving and there is so much you want to do.

Ann was quickly approved when she applied but she at that time had a 28 year medical history of problems, many surgeries, and finally steroid induced diabetes added to the mix. The medical ins didn't come until after she had been on SS for two years but it was not needed while I was working as my group plan covered her. I think that for you the time you have been waiting for approval would count so your 2 years would have already passed.

Pat & I were afraid she would loose the widow's benefit amount on Social Security when we married and fall back to her own benefit, which is quite a bit less. But when we checked we learned that if the lady is over age 60 she does not loose that higher amount should she re-marry. The difference for us is about $900/month. It all helps.

kansasrose said...

You have my prayers my friend...the gov has no compassion or timeframe...healthcare in this great land is in serious trouble. No one except the very wealthy it seems can afford it...very scarey. I will pray for your health and vigor to return from this infection too dear...hang in there sweetie...love, krxxxooo

Lisa said...

Aww Diane. My brother-in-law went through FIVE years of fighting with them for disability, due to arthritis caused by psoriasis. He finally got it, and the backpay to boot, but it was a struggle. I am sending good vibes your way!