Saturday, February 11, 2006

Diane's Taco Soup

I had a couple of requests for my Taco Soup recipe, so here it is:



DIANE'S TACO SOUP


1 lb. ground chuck
1 can ranch-style beans
1 can white shoe-peg corn, or whole kernel corn
1 can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoes and green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
1 envelope ranch dry ranch dressing mix
2 envelopes taco seasoning mix
cayenne pepper to taste
shredded cheese of your choice
corn chips or corn bread

Brown ground chuck and chopped onion. Drain and place in a LARGE Dutch oven or stock pot. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese and chips or cornbread. Do not drain cans before adding. Add water to reach the consistency you like. Heat slowly over low heat, stirring often to prevent sticking. It will stick and scorch quickly. After soup comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer over the lowest heat possible for 30 minutes or so, stirring often. Serve with shredded cheese, and chips or cornbread. I have added a dollop of sour cream to each serving, too. This is about as easy as soup gets, and it really hits the spot on a cold day. This is really good made with ground deer meat, too. Also, you can adjust the beans and tomatoes, etc, acording to what you have on hand at the time. I have made this with a dozen different combinations of beans, corn, etc, and it is delicious every time.


I just got back from the Valentine's Banquet at my church, and I made a huge stock-pot of this soup. Actually, I made up a quadruple batch of this, and I have maybe a quarter of a pot left that I brought home. This freezes very well. I usually make at least a double batch and freeze some for later, if there's any left, that is. Hope you enjoy this, we love it.


Diane

1 comment:

Sister said...

Hey Diane,
Now THIS is a recipe I can master! :) I know it was delicious and a HUGE hit at your church's Valentine Banquet. Maybe I can make this tomorrow night. We have snow here in Nashville and I have a feeling your taco soup will hit the spot.
Thanks again for sharing your talents...