Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Jessica's Graduation

I know I haven't posted since Friday, but I am still alive and in the blogging business. I have been busy, lazy, and dealing with some things, but I'm back now. Just to catch everyone up on Diane's life, last Friday, May 19th was Jessica's high school graduation, and there's some pics there below of that. Believe it or not, I didn't bawl my eyes out the way I thought I might. I did shed a few tears or several, but I didn't need the whole box of Kleenex I brought just in case. I did use one of them when Jessica sang "The Rose", though, I will confess. All in all, it was a good ceremony, although a bit long, especially since we were in the high school gym on hard bleacher seats. I'm sure most of you are acquainted with the posterior-numbing effects of bleachers, and Friday night was no exception. It was standing room only, and crowded on the bleachers so a body couldn't even cross his legs without kicking someone, and if you leaned back you leaned into the person's legs behind you. But, that's behind us now, no pun intended.


Sunday was church both times, so I was tired when I got home and posted some comments on my blogger friends pages, but didn't feel inspired to post anything new on mine. Monday, Cecil and Sue came picked me up and we went to Trumann for Chinese, then back here for some of our games. When we got home that afternoon, I got a call that Lamar's cousin had been found dead in his apartment in Memphis, Tennessee. He was only 44 and as far as we knew was in perfect health. We have since found out that he died of a cocaine overdose. None of his family had any idea or indication that he used drugs at all, so this was another shock on top of his death. We had thought maybe a heart attack or aneurism, but drugs didn't even occur to us until they gave the preliminary autopsy report. He was single, so he didn't leave any children or wife, but his Mom and Dad and brother and sister are heartbroken, so please remember them in your prayers. The funeral will be Thursday at Pine Hill, assuming they release the body in time. What with visiting the family and other things, I just haven't had the gumption to post anything before now.
I think these are pretty self-explanatory,
but as you can see, that's Lamar, Jessica, and me in the top left one. Top right is my
gradution girl. Bottom left is Jessica and Cecil goofing off, mugging for the camera.
Bottom right is Jessica and me.

I took quite a few pictures, but a lot of them are too dark to show up well, being in the gym, and things being so far away, too. My BIL Johnny, zztop's hubby, took several pics, too, and is sending me a CD of those, so I may post some of his on here later. Jessica's boyfriend took some, too, but they have to be developed. When we get those back I may have some of those to post, too.

Well, I think that's gonna do it for me this time, folks. Hope everyone has a great Wednesday, and blessings to all. :-)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice graduation pictures. Congratulations to her. She sang the Rose? Classic. No wonder you needed the tissue. :-)
I'm sorry to hear about Lamar's cousin, especially when they found out the way he passed. Sometimes addictions can be well hidden, even from the closest of families. I had a cousin who committed suicide a little over 10 years ago. He showed no signs of anything being wrong. It was a shock.
I will keep your whole family in my prayers.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hey, Mike,
Thanks for your prayers and concern. Everything is still up in the air because they haven't released the body yet, and the final autopsy report won't come out for at least another 4-6 weeks. There were no obvious signs of foul play, but they aren't ruling it out pending the final autopsy results. It's just a big shock now to deal with for the family.

Thanks again for your prayers. The family really needs them. :-)

Dick said...

His family will be in my prayers. I know from first hand experience how hard it is to loose a loved one.

Congratulations to Jessica. I am glad to hear that she will be going on for more schooling. In this day & age you really need more beyond the high school diploma.

Susie said...

Diane,
You've had the ups and downs of life this week my dear!
Sending prayers for Lamar's cousin, may he rest in peace.
Take good care of yourself, Diane. I'll be praying for you.
((hugs))
Sue

Brenda said...

Diane, I'm still praying for you, and I'll be including Lamar and his cousin's family in my list.

It's probably better that you were prepared to bawl your eyes and then didn't than to have been unprepared and done so. Is it just me, or do you cry harder when you try to hold back?

Congrats again to Jessica, and to you, for reaching another milestone. May there be many more!

Nashe^ said...

whoo.... graduation eyh?
coolness!
Thatz a milestone in education, for sure. and i totally get what you said abt the bleacher seats. A pain in the arse! ahakz.

hope you're doing well..i know you are!

Nashe^ said...

and btw i have revamped! check it out! haha

Andre said...

You know, it's interesting that the events that you chronicled in this post represent the equilibrium that comes with life. Ups and downs, days and nights, happiness and sorrow. Such is our walk with God.

I know that things are difficult with you right now, but I think it's important to accentuate the positive while also recognizing the importance of the negative. The good things in our life show us that God is a Deliever while the trying things that we face cause us to cling to closer to Him.

I'm praying for you. Not in the "I'm just telling her that I'm praying for her to make her feel better" sort of way. But really praying for God's peace to fall on you and your family.

But, if nothing else, you've got the great things in life to balance out the not-so-great things. Please don't think that I'm trivializing your hardships. I imagine that these are pressing times for you. I'm just saying that you've got SO MUCH to be thankful for as well.

Later, alligator...

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is beautiful! Looks like a nice family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane
Your daughter is so beautiful, and she can sing ! you should be so proud of her, but proud of you as well , she is intitled to this moment in time as her accomplishment but she had alot of help along the way , that would be you , others yes etc. but you !Mommy , breathe deep , feel great about your daughters success and enjoy what is the next step in your lives , embrace it ,from your post you are very close and willalways be , you have given her her wings, all that she needs , now it is her time to soar, enjoy .

Greeneyes said...

Hi Diane
Your daughter is so beautiful, and she can sing ! you should be so proud of her, but proud of you as well , she is intitled to this moment in time as her accomplishment but she had alot of help along the way , that would be you , others yes etc. but you !Mommy , breathe deep , feel great about your daughters success and enjoy what is the next step in your lives , embrace it ,from your post you are very close and willalways be , you have given her her wings, all that she needs , now it is her time to soar, enjoy .

Greeneyes said...

Hey Diane
sorry for the double post , I went to check for my horrible spelling and hit the wrong button or sumptin:) anyway it was from me and now you have read it twice LOL
hope things are better
Greeneyes *wink *

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Dick,
Thank you for your prayers, and thank you for your congratulations for Jessica. Yes, you really do need an education to make it today. :-)

Sue,
Yes, it's been a rollercoaster week for sure. Thank you for your prayers, I really appreciate them. :-)

Brenda,
Thanks for all your prayers for all of us. Yes, I think when you're trying to hold back, when you do let go, it's like a dam bursting.

Thanks for your kind words for Jessica, too. Your time's coming. :-)

Nashe,
Hey, Nurun, good to hear from you again! I just visited your place, and saw your new look. So I guess about the time I get used to this one, you'll be changing it again? LOL ;-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Andre,
Thanks for your insight, and for your effectual fervent prayers, too. We buried Lamar's cousin today, and it's been exhausting, emotionally and physically. I appreciate your friendship, Andre. Thank you for lifting me up. I won't forget it. :-)

Connie,
Thank you, we are very proud of Jessica, and thank you for your prayers, too. :-)

Jeana,
Thank you for you sweet comments, and thanks for dropping by. :-)

Green Eyes,
Thanks for your sweet words, once again. You always have something encouraging to say, and I look forward to your comments.

The times, they are a'changin', that's for sure! When she goes out the door with the last of her stuff, headed to college, I may lose it, shore 'nuff!! LOL :-)

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry about Lamar's cousin - i can't imagine how shocking that would be.

COngratulations to your graduate!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

HolyMama!,
Thank you for your condolences. We've had almost a week to absorb it, so it's a little better now.

And thank you for your congratulations, too. :-)

Barb said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Lamar's cousin. Such a tragic and senseless way to die. Your daughter is beautiful and I can see the pride in your eyes. Congratulations. And you did better than me. I made a fool out of myself crying!