Saturday, February 18, 2006

It's Here!!!

I thought I'd better post something while I still can. It is 2:00 am on Saturday morning, and it has been sleeting, snowing and freezing rain since about midnight. I just looked out and there is a thick glaze of ice on everything already. It's 30 degrees right now, and the wind is blowing over 30 mph sometimes. The wind chill is in the single digits and that wind just cuts right through a body. If it continues precipitating like this, we may not have electricity much longer, especially with the wind blowing like it is. If I don't post for a few days or longer, you'll know why.

The Women's Conference was great. All of us ladies agreed amongst ourselves that Linda Rice is the best speaker we have had to date. The catfish dinner was great, too. Our men did an outstanding job serving, and we will return the favor when we women serve them at their Men's Conference. We all had our cell phones on silent or vibrate so our men could keep us updated on the weather, but praise the Lord, it held off until we were all safely home.

Lamar called Jessica and had her come home early, before it got too bad. There was one little squall line of sleet and freezing rain that blew through about 8 pm, so she was home when I got here. Another answered prayer, thank the Lord for our safe journeys home. Her ACT test was cancelled, too, so I don't have to worry about her being out in the bad weather for that. Mama has her little chick gathered close, so all is right in her world, ;)

I know it's February, but, acting on that feeling I mentioned about a week ago, when I bought groceries this time I stocked up on bread, baloney, vienna sausage, spam, sodas, canned goods, and assorted other food items just in case the electricity goes off. Our apartment is all electric, so if the electricity does go off, we will be without heat, lights, hot water, the works. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 26, but I doubt it makes it. The low for tomorrow night is supposed to be 12, so if the electricity does go off, this little joint is gonna get cold! I do have a gas grill, and a full bottle of gas for it, and I have a fair amount of charcoal, too, so if I can slip and slide out to the grills, that is one good thing. I have plenty of candles and kerosene for the coal oil lamps. I try to have plenty on hand, just for such occasions, and for other storms, too. Think positive thoughts, Diane -- maybe it won't get that bad..........

The temperature is falling like a rock, down to 28 degrees now, in less than 30 minutes. Brrrrrrr.........It's not fit out tonight for man nor beast, and I mean that sincerely. I feel sorry for anybody or anything that has to be out in weather like this. I always think of the homeless and the street people, and the poor animals that have no shelter in weather like this.....Yes, I freely admit it: I am extremely soft-hearted, especially for the weak, young, poor, underpriviledged, ____________..........just fill in the blank, and I feel sorry for them, lol.

I want to go draw up some water and make me a thermos of coffee, just in case the worst happens, so I will close for now. Hope to post again later today, weather and electricity permitting.

Stay warm and safe........

2 comments:

Sister said...

Hi Diane,

I woke up to the same white stuff you have there. It is still snowing, with more to come, I think. It is a tad inconvenient in these neck of the woods, but it is beautiful.

Wrap up, stay warm, and enjoy your Winter Wonderland!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi, sister,

We don't have just snow here, we have about 1/4 inch of freezing rain and sleet accumulated, making a solid sheet of ice, and on top of that, about an inch of grainy, pelleted snow. I love snow, but this is not deep enough to cover the ugly, or to make snow cream, or to get out and play in. It's bitterly cold, 19 degrees right now, and with a wind chill of 3 degrees. I haven't checked on the lows for tonight, but my hubby says they have revised the forecast and are calling for it to get even colder than previously predicted. The weather geeks are calling for more precip, anybody's guess what type, but it will definitely be frozen, whether snow, sleet, freezing rain, or a mix. As long as the electricity stays on, we will be fine, we'll just hibernate for a while, bond, and build some character, lol. Thanks for the warm wishes, and the same to you, sister.

Boomama, how's the weather there?