Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sunday Dinner, April 1, 2007 & Assorted Ramblings

For those of you who are looking for a Sunday Dinner menu here today, this is almost an April Fool's joke.

There ain't gonna be no Sunday Dinner at Diane's Place today. I'm on strike. I'm feeling much better, but I am not cooking today. I refuse. I have no idea where I'll be eating today, but someone else will be cooking it and cleaning up the dirty dishes. Whatever the majority decides, that's where we'll eat, I suppose.

Sunday afternoon my mother in law's church is giving Jessica a baby shower and I'm supposed to go with Jessica for that, then back to my church for evening worship. It's going to be a full day.

Now, what are your plans for Sunday Dinner? Just share your menu or your plans in the comments.I mentioned in my last post that I had my long hair cut off. Okay, here are the pictures.

First, the "Before" picture. Keep in mind my hair was
still damp here, so it was longer than it looks in the picture.Next, here's the ponytail after my sister Ducky
hacked it off. It's lying on my printer, and
my hand is there to help judge the scale.
Next, a front view of my new 'do.And a back view. Not the best pics, I know.
And my hair just does that thing on its
own, that thing on the back of my head
that looks kind of like a weight line near
the nape of my neck.

I had Jessica take these pics Saturday
night at her place and I'd been rained on
a couple of times, and for some reason my
hair looks
like it's been wet a couple of times.I took some pictures of Emmy's room
while I was there at Jessica and Jason's apartment.
Here's one of
Emmy's new crib,
and of MY bed when I'm there.
I've already told Jessica and Jason
that Grandma is going to require a
stepladder to get in and out of that bed.
It's higher off the floor than it looks in
that picture, and Grandma is short-legged.
Did I mention this was MY bed,
as in GRANDMA'S bed?
I made the afghan for my Mama for
her 60th birthday. When she died in
2005 it came back to me, and I
gave it to Jessica when she and
Jason got married in December.
I think it looks nice in Emmy's nursery.

Continuing with my rambling today,
I received a package in the mail today

from my dear blogging buddy,
Barb at A New Chelsea Morning.
I couldn't believe all the things she had
packed in that little box! It seemed

like I just kept pulling things out of
that box for the longest time!
And of course my cat, Candy, had

to help me examine everything.
If a cat owns you, you know that

everything new that comes into the
house has to be thoroughly inspected.
There were a half dozen DARLING
handmade (by Barb) burp cloths
and a large package of diapers...
A precious pink, blue and white
hand-crocheted baby afghan
and a package of tiny T-shirts...
And six pairs of itty-bitty socks.
Here's another view of the afghan
and the burp cloths.
And, Barb, you'll be gratified to know that
everything passed Candy's inspection.

And mine as well.
I am just overwhelmed, Barb.
Thank you SO MUCH for everything,
and especially the things you made
by hand and with love. I will think of
you each time I use these things and
see them as I take care of Emmy.
I "Heart" you, my friend.
Now that this is like, the longest post EVER,
I'm going to publish this and put the blog
to bed for the night/morning.
It's been a long, eventful day and I'm still
recovering from the creeping crud.
Diane is TARD.
I pray God's richest blessings upon
you all, dear friends and family.

Love and hugs,

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

good on u
good to go on strike every now and again
hope u enjoy your day

tonight we had mince and cheese pies
we ate them on the way to youth group
and for dessert Billy had an apple and I had a yoghurt

what will u do with your ponytail?

your hair is going to be so much easier to look after Diane looks good

Barb is clever isnt she and thoughtful too :)

Barb said...

You are so going to love that short hair, Diane. I like this look on you better than long hair. I know it took a little courage to do that but with your summer heat, you're going to really be glad you did it.

I'd never tell everyone how often I go on kitchen strike. LOL Funny how strike nights always seem to come on the heels of Cameron days!

I'm so glad you enjoyed and appreciated this grandma kit I sent you. I know Jessica is going to receive all kinds of nice things at showers and at the arrival of the baby. I just feel like becoming a grandma for the first time is so, so special, Grandma should be remembered. So I put this little package together because these were the things I really needed to have at my house right after Cameron was born. Babies are messy and daughters don't always pack what they should in the diaper bag. If you have diapers, tee shirts, socks and a warm blankie, you're all set. I don't even need to discuss the need for burp cloths! :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent making these things for you.

xoxoxo

PS - I'm not forgetting Jessica but her gift is taking longer than I thought (gee - where has all my spare time gone?) and she may get her gift after the birth announcements go out. LOL

PPS - Whew! The cat approves!

PPPS - Hope you get over this stuff and feel better soon.

Dawn said...

So that's the mystery baby sge was sewing and crocheting for??!! What a special friend with a special gift. She's so right about mommies not sending everything you need. I can't tell you how many times I have washed clothes on the spur of the moment because of accidents and nothing to spare!

Glad you're feeling better and that you're not cooking today. We're having missionaries from Sierre Leone (the African nation in which the movie Blood Diamonds was made - no, I haven't seen it yet, because I don't go to movies), and we get to go out to eat with them with the pastor, etc. So that'll be a treat. I cooked and cleaned yesterday, because we had 10 people over for dinner. That's enough!

Love the new do!! What a treat it'll be or you to just get up and go!

Linda said...

Glad you're feeling a bit better Diane. I'm also glad you aren't fixing dinner. You deserve to be pampered a bit.
Your new hairdo is going to be so nice and easy to take care of. You look great!!
The baby/grandma room looks so sweet. How wonderful of Barb to send you that package. There is nothing like getting something someone special made for you. It is a gift from the heart.
Have a good day Diane!

Rachel said...

My dinner was at Sonic after church today. Pretty dull stuff except for tossing bits of the bun to all the birds waiting for handouts!!

Your hair will be so much cooler...or your head and you I should say!! LOL It looks good!!

What a wonderful thing Barb did sending you that care package. How very sweet and thoughtful.

Hope you are feeling better and have a wonderful Sunday!

Tammy said...

I hope you enjoy your dinner out, you deserve it after being so sick!
I'm sure your new haircut will be much cooler on you as the temps start to climb!
Barb is a real sweetheart!!
Hope you have a great week!

Susie said...

That haircut will feel so good when the warm weather arrives! Looks cute and sassy!!
So very glad Candy approved of all Barb's cute little goodies. Vincent would have been the same way.
Enjoy your dinner out. We're having chicken tortilla soup, and a salad.
Not too exciting, but very yummy!!
Hope you're feeling better each day!!
hugs and love!!

someone else said...

For all the years our girls were at home and then newly married, I fixed Sunday dinner roast and trimmings. We finally decided it was time to let the restaurants do the cooking for me, so we go out almost every Sunday now (except family holidays), either alone or with friends. I love coming home and knowing the work is done and I didn't have to do it. Today it was Mexican food with friends.

You're going to love the ease of that spiffy new hair cut. It looks so comfortable and light after all that long hair.

Glad you're feeling better -- take it easy so you stay that way.

Sister said...

Diane,
Good for you! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your Sunday dinner today and especially hope that you're feeling better. I'm sure Barb's package lifted your spirits...what a precious gift!
Have a Blessed Holy Week...

Greeneyes said...

Sweet D ,
I love the hair , it is full of body/curl and I really like it on you , I wish I was brave as you and go that short, it looks like a whole new you , and I pay good money to get the curl I see in the third pic ,lucky you !all fresh and pretty for the summer !

what nice presents you received , well you have some wonderful blogging pals , doesnt hurt that your so wonderful yourself .

Diane , I was going to connect this weekend but been slammed , Moms surgery and well other things I will email as soon as possible , right now I am being pulled off here again , gotta go but wanted to just pop on to see you!
love you friend
talk soon

Miss G

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Love it all! The post, the pics, the 'do, the room. It's all just marvy and you should enjoy it to the fullest.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Take care

Mountain Mama said...

Keep on feeling better Diane. It's nice to take a break from the kitchen when we can. I've done a lot of that since I got sick but now that I'm feeling better I'm cooking again. My sunday dinner was cod fish, rice and mixed vegetables.
The baby gifts are so sweet. I am getting excited for you to be able to see and hold that sweet little bundle.

momteacherfriend said...

Wow! A new look. Just in time for warmer weather. And you will also be glad that it is short when Emma arrives, babies can pull hair like no other.
What a nice grandma package from Barb, she's brilliant.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hey Diane, the new haircut looks great, and it is going to be way cool over summer. I have long hair, but in summer I wish it was short. You won't know yourself.
Wow, all that lovely baby stuff ... it is all just gorgeous.
Hope your week is going well.
Take care, Meow

kansasrose said...

You are gonna love that short and sassy do when the humidity and heat set in! It looks great on you! The baby's room looks lovely! What a gorgeous afghan you made and is now your daughters...That was a sweet and thoughtful package of baby things from a very sweet lady. Glad to hear you are feeling better my friend. Take care hon and rest up cause when the babe gets here you will be very busy! xxxooolove, Jen

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Diane...catching up with everybody once again!! Ooooh how I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new haircut!! It suits you soooo well and yup, you will sure appreciate it in the hot weather! I had to giggle when you mentioned going on strike in the kitchen...done that a few times myself! lol Oh wow, look at all the neat stuff Barb sent you...it's all so gorgeous and she's such a terrific and caring friend!!! Wonderful! Love the baby's room also...and grandma's bed does look kinda high...get a little stepstool for it! lol Much love to you my friend! xoxo

Dawn said...

Just checking to see how you're doing! I hope you're having a relaxing week.

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane,
We haven't talked for so long...
I just love your new haircut. You can just put a little gel in it and be on your way. Great for summer.

I can tell Grandma is going to take very good care of that baby with having your very own bed in her room. I think having a grandma must be one of the nicest things ever...I never got to meet either of mine.

Hope you are doing well.
Take care.
Hugs,
Connie

Naturegirl said...

Diane what a lovely post! Your hair simply beautiful..I just recently stopped coloring mine and am a silver fox now..so liberating!
I wanted to pop by and wish you and your family a blessed Easter weekend!
hugs NG

Andre said...

Gasp!

OK, so it wasn't my best use of onomonpoeia. But you get the point.

Personally, I like the cut. It has "Corporate America powerhouse" written all over it. Well that, or "Soon too be granny who's too young to wrap it all up yet."

Nice look, Di.