Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

If I haven't already visited your blog and wished you a Thanksgiving filled with love, family, good food and blessings, please accept my best wishes now.

All of my blogging buddies are a blessing to me, and I am truly thankful for your love and friendship and the close blogging community we've built together.I've visited several bloggers today who have mentioned they have snow for Thanksgiving, and several even have pictures posted to prove it. I am so jealous! They get snow for Thanksgiving. What do I get for Thanksgiving here in Arkansas? A tornado watch! Yay! So far no warnings in my immediate area, but the storms are popping as I type this. There are already a couple of tornado warnings just to my North and more are sure to follow. It's 71F right now and following the cold front that's triggering these storms the temps are forecast to drop almost 30 degrees for a high in the mid 40's on Thanksgiving day and a low of 28F. I love the colder, more seasonable weather but I can do without the tornadoes, thank you very much.The location of my Thanksgiving dinner (which will be at noon here in Arkansas where I live) has been in question up until just a few hours ago. Jessica wanted to host Thanksgiving dinner this year for me and Lamar and any of the rest of the family that wanted to be there. She's going to cook an almost 20 lb. turkey and dressing for the first time, along with the rest of the trimmings. I'll be helping and dispensing advice as needed.

The only hitch in her plans was that the oven in Jessica's gas cook stove in the new rent house wasn't working. It's a bit difficult if not downright impossible to bake a turkey without a functioning oven. She's been trying to get her landlady to fix the oven since they moved into the house almost a month ago.

Keep in mind that Jessica has the turkey and all the fixin's at her house. If the oven wasn't fixed that meant that she would have to haul all the food and necessary items here to my apartment early Thursday morning to get started on Thanksgiving dinner. It takes a good while to cook a 20 lb. turkey, so we're talking wee hours of the morning "early" here.

Praise the Lord, I just talked to Jessica to warn her to be alert to the storms and she shared the good news that her oven is fixed! Another blessing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday. I wouldn't mind moving the dinner here, but Jessica and Jason sure would! I've had Thanksgiving dinner here the last several years since Mama and Daddy died but Jessica's house is a lot bigger than my little 4 room apartment. As my Mama used to say, my apartment is so small you can't cuss a cat in here without getting hair in your mouth, LOL! ;o)I'm going to share our Thanksgiving Dinner menu here and I'd like to invite anyone who'd like to participate to share your plans/menu in the comments, just as we do for my Sunday Dinner.

As I mentioned, Jessica is roasting a turkey and we'll have homemade dressing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, potato salad, kidney bean salad, baked beans, cranberry sauce and rolls. I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting, but that's most of the side dishes. For dessert, Jessica is making my recipe for homemade apple pies, my Mama's homemade cheesecake and banana pudding.

Think we'll have enough food? As far as I know Lamar and I will be there along with Jessica, Jason and Emmy, and my sister, Cecil and her hubby, Brian, will be there, and I think my sister, Ducky is coming. So, at the most, probably 8 people to eat all that food.

We are indeed blessed and I never take for granted the blessings of loving family and plenty to eat. I thank God daily for the blessings He pours out on me and my family.MARY @ MARY'S WRITING NOOK has honored me with the "I'M FABULOUS AWARD". I don't know that I'm all that fabulous, but I'm glad Mary thinks I am. :0)

Thank you so much, Mary!I'll be decorating my blog for Christmas and putting up a new post on Thursday night or Friday, assuming we don't get blown away. In the meantime, y'all have a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

May God richly bless you, may you have all you need and enough to share, and may you have much to be thankful for.

19 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Diane,
Bout time you posted girlfriend. LOL. I have been waiting for you to post for 2 days now. LOL. Yeap, the weather is scary. I got a blessing today as well. I had mentioned that my sister was taking our girls to Memphis to shop. Well, my youngest daughter called me around 9:30a.m. and said they were going to Jonesboro instead since it was raining. PRAISE THE LORD!!!! I am doing laundry and cooking. We are probably going to snack for supper tonight. I was going to start my cooking this morning, but I got sickly on my stomach and dizzy and had to lay back down for a while. I went to sleep and got back up around 12:30p.m. and ate me some saltine crackers. I'm feeling some better now. Your menu sounds delicious. My mom used to fix the kidney bean salad for our Thanksgiving meals along time ago. Hubby is cooking the turkey, which is practically done, and I am fixing the dressing, potato salad, and my Stove Top Cabbage Casserole that I posted on my blog the other day. My mom and sister will be bringing some other small dishes. I may email you later on tonight. Hubby has to leave Saturday morning to go to Mississippi to pick up a load but will be back to stay all night and then leave out Sunday afternoon going to Missouri. I don't know if we will get to move anything from the other house or not. It's not looking like it. Congratulations on your award. You truly deserve each and every award you get. Don't forget to stop by and pick up the Thanksgiving banner I have on my today's post for all my blogging friends. Well, take care my friend and have a great Wednesday. May God Bless You and Yours. I'm glad Jessica got her oven fixed.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

zztop357 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, I bet ya'll have a blast!!! I'll be working as always.Tell J and J the same and I hope she remembered to take the paper out of the turkey LOL. Ya'll have fun :).
Bless you all, Love you Sister
Donna

Dick said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. We will be going to Pat's daughter's new home tomorrow for dinner where there are about 27 people expected. Luckily it is a big house! Pat is baking a pumpkin pie now that we will be taking.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanks Giving hope you all enjoy yourselves and Im pleased Jessicas oven is finally fixed

Big Mama said...

Happy Thanksgiving Diane. I hope you and the family have a wonderful day. I know having that sweet grandbaby around this year will make it all that much sweeter.

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by today. I'm glad Jessica gets to carry out her plans. She's very ambitious!

I'm fixing the turkey, gravy, and crescent rolls. Dad's making the stuffing, because everyone prefers his. I'll go over and pick it up tonight and keep it cold until morning EARLY when I get up to put it on to cook for noon eating - my oven's been uncooperative lately, so hope it behaves tomorrow!

Others will be bringing pies, veggies, salads, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary but yummy.

My brother's arriving from Oklahoma with his family (minus the West Point cadet), and altogether we'll have 19-20 (depending upon if our grandson's mom decides to be his mom tomorrow or some other day). Should be fun. But I'm tired already! I have Care Bear coming over early tomorrow morning to make the place cards - her kindergarten writing should make it very special.

Mary said...

Diane,

What a beautiful post. I love your Thanksgiving menu and am glad that the oven is fixed.

I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. May love and laughter be present at the table.

Blessings,
Mary

Paulette said...

Diane,
Thankyou so much for coming by twice and wishing me a happy Thanksgiving. It means alot to me since you are like my only visitor ever latey and I appreciate your sweet words.
I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving with your family.
God Bless you sweet friend.

Lyndy said...

I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving. I am thankful for you my sweet friend.

Hugs, Lyndy

Myrna said...

YUM! YUM! that sounds delish!
We had our family thanksgiving dinner last weekend--bar-b-que and all the trimmings. We are a little odd, but even that was unusual for us1

tomorrow there will be three of us here==Lee, Greg, and me. Greg's family has gone to LA. for a few days, but he stayed behind to do some work and, I think, maybe he thoght he needed to babsit us!He really didn't need to, but I'm glad he is here.

So--We are having a traditional turkey dinner--from Cracker B. Yep, it's ordered and will be waiting for Greg to pick up and bring to us. I may never cook again!

Enjoy that wonderful meal. You know we will need to see pictures of the princess at her first Thanksgiving feast!

Greeneyes said...

Happy Thanksgiving dear friend , ya think if I started driving now I could still be in time?????LMBO
May you and your family be blessed ,and enjoy the love and family around your table as they are precious , esp little EMMA!! SUGAR SMMOCHIES PLEASE. with a side order of Your cheesecake , Thank you !

No mail I presume , well it will be there when it gets there !!!!!
I am thinking about you and hope to connect soon
love you sister friend
BSH

Greeneyes XO

Anonymous said...

Praying for a happy and safe Thanksgiving for you and the family! :o)

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Diane,
"HAPPY THANKSGIVING" to you and yours. I am between things this morning and I posted a short post. I just wanted to wish you a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING" and have a safe trip to Jonesboro and back today. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Anonymous said...

Yours sounds delicious and we had a great one too.

I'm a Norwegian you know, so we normally don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but living with an American makes a big different and the turkey tasted great. I'll post about it tomorrow :-)

Happy Holiday to you and your family with hugs from Diane and Me.

Carole Burant said...

May today and every day be blessed with simple, quiet moments of thanksgiving!! Happy Thanksgiving to my dear American friends from across the border:-) xoxo

Naturegirl said...

Diane I am coming by to wish you and your lovley family a blessed Thanksgiving Day! Have lots of turkey and fixins for me as we celebrated in Oct. here in Canada! We did get our first scattering of snow last night!
Brrrr...hugs NG

Sabrena said...

You will have to tell us how everything went...it sounds delicious!! I made some cream cheese brownies...man oh man were they good! Tell me if you would like the recipe!

Thanks for the comments...I appreciate them so much.

Rachel said...

Thanksgiving is over now. I did not even get on my computer yesterday. I went to my nephew's house and ate with them. There was 10 of us and we had so much food we could have fed a small army. His wife LOVES to cook. There was 11 side dishes, plus gravy, rolls, and 2 types of cranberry sauce. Then there was turkey and ham. Desserts were pumpkin roll, brownies, lemon pie, prune cake, and pecan pie. No one left hungry and if they did it was their fault!! :)

Cecil said...

Hey Joe.. As I type this, I am getting worse... I have sneezed untold times and feeling pretty cruddy... I have to work tomorrow so I have to get better... but anyways.. thought I'd stop by and say "hi"... have a good day tomorrow and kiss Munchkin for me.. We had the BEST time yesterday.... it felt like Thanksgiving to me and Brian for the first time in a while... Love ya more.... Cecil